Lifestyle Coach for the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program (Bilingual Preferred)
Job Type: Part Time
Category: Community Health
Compensation: $17-$20 per hour
YMCA Corporate Office
3408 Wilshire Blvd.
Wilmington, NC 28403
Under the direction of the Community Health Programs Coordinator and consistent with the Y’s mission and values, the Lifestyle Coach facilitates delivery of YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program to Spanish and/or English- speaking participants, provides support and guidance to program participants, and maintains fidelity to the curriculum. There is an opportunity to be trained in other Community Health Programs, such as Blood Pressure Self-Monitoring Program, Healthy Weight & Your Child, and others for the YMCA of Southeastern NC.
- Deliver curriculum to program participants in effective, meaningful, and compelling ways
- Encourage group participation and interaction with use of open-ended questions and other facilitation skills
- Cultivate participant commitment and support retention of participants
- Create a safe, judgment-free, and encouraging environment that is friendly and noncompetitive for participants
- Foster relationships with and between participants
- Make learning a shared responsibility for the group
- Support and encourage participant goals-setting at each session
- Travel to community locations for program delivery
- Prepare for each session (e.g., review session content, develop facilitation outline, review notes and participant food and activity trackers, conduct participant reminder call/send participant reminder email)
- Weigh participants at each session
- Be accessible to participants before and after sessions to answer questions and provide follow-up
- Follow-up with participants outside of class as needed
- Schedule and conduct in-person make-up sessions
- Record weekly data for each participant (attendance, weight, physical activity minutes, food tracker completion) in electronic database according to data entry timing requirements
- Adhere to the YMCA’s HIPAA policies and procedures and ensure participants’ protected health information is secure
- Participate in quality assurance opportunities to support fidelity to the curriculum and to meet performance standards
- Arrive for class on time and dressed appropriately
- Participate in all required Lifestyle Coach team discussions (meetings, emails, or conference calls) and professional development opportunities, offering ideas and tools for facilitation to other team members.
- Connect with Program Manager on a regular basis to update on program status and progress and as per any additional expectations outlined Assist member services staff with member complaints and issues, as
- Perform quality work within given deadlines and expectations with or without direct
- Serve effectively as a team contributor on all
- Interact professionally with other employees, members, program participants, volunteers, and other individuals within the community always being mindful of the YMCA’s four core values of caring, honesty, respect, and
- Bring facility-related concerns to the attention of the Community Health Programs Coordinator.
- Assist in identifying and resolving risk management
- Complete all appropriate paperwork regarding incidents and
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with appropriate
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Employee Membership('free') to the YMCA.
- Employee Discounts on Y personal training, family membership, and specialty programs.
- Leadership and training opportunities.
- Passion, enthusiasm, and commitment to the mission and cause of the YMCA, and more specifically, the vision and goals of the Y’s focus on health seekers.
- Must have strong communication, organization, and relationship-building skills; the ability to build community within a group; good attention to detail; and empathy for health seekers.
- Must be flexible to work with people from different backgrounds and walks of life and in a wide variety of settings.
- Should be comfortable with data and possess strong computer skills.
- Cultural competency and understanding of behavior change are required.
- Familiarity and proficiency with Listen First or motivational interviewing highly encouraged.
- The ability to speak, read, and write in both Spanish and English proficiently is strongly preferred.
- Employment is contingent upon achieving HIPAA certification, the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program Lifestyle Coach certification, and other requirements as solely determined by the YMCA.
TO APPLY: Complete the YMCA Job application and submit with resume to Bridget Carroll, email@example.com or submit to Nir Family YMCA at Membership Desk.