Job Type: Part Time
Instructs group classes in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes member wellness and engagement. In accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
1. Leads energizing fun, safe, and educational group classes, as directed by the supervisor, to accomplish the YMCA mission and goals.
2. Answers questions from members to support them in achieving their goals related to healthy living. Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members.
3. Builds effective, authentic relationship with members; helps members connect with each other and the YMCA.
4. Keeps accurate class attendance records.
5. Responsible for walking around and cueing adjustments from pool deck and correcting form during class.
6. Assist in maintaining equipment and informing Director of any breakage or items needling replacement.
7. Report to work 5 minutes prior to class to prepare for class and ensure proper set up and tear down of class including setup and breakdown of sound system.
8. Responsible for covering their class. Any substitutes should be called into their Director/Coordinator.
9. Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness
to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
1. Required certifications: CPR, First Aid, AED
2. Certification in areas of expertise. (Water fitness classes).
3. To teach Aqua Zumba, certification as an instructor is required.
4. YMCA orientation required in first 60 days.
5. At least one year of experience teaching group wellness classes preferred.
1. Ability to conduct classes and activities.
2. Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position; including leading class, walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting.
Submit a resume and job application (below) to our Welcome Desk at the 2710 Market Street Wilmington, NC 28403.
For any questions on the job, please contact Lori Campbell at Lori.Campbell@ymcasenc.org