Job Type: Seasonal
Nir Family YMCA
2710 Market Street
Wilmington, No 28403
Maintains safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas. Creates a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Maintains constant surveillance of the pool area by scanning the pool in a continuous and consistent manner.
- Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Completes related reports as required.
- Maintains effective, positive relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
- Knows, understands, and consistently enforces safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
- Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state Health Department code.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed. Reports these finding to the Pool Manager.
- Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving and throughout the day reports findings to the pool manager.
- Performs chemical testing at appropriate times of the day, as required, and takes appropriate action.
- Attends all staff meetings and in-service training as required.
- Provides excellent service to members, guest, and program participants in the Y, to assist with contributing member retention.
- Handles and resolves membership concerns and informs supervisor of unusual situations or unresolved issues.
- Know, understand and consistently apply Daxko Membership policy and procedures if required to.
- Maintain accurate Daxko Accounting policy, close-outs and procedures if required to.
- Maintains and cleans all restrooms, pool decks, trash cans and parking lot areas.
- Must be flexible to work at different locations.
- Must always maintain professionalism and be rescue ready.
- Reports to duty on time and ready to perform duties.
- Must be prepared for extreme weather (may be in the heat/sun for long periods of time)
- Must maintain physical conditioning to perform lifeguard skills.
- Must always be alert by the pools edge, never leave the pool unattended.
- Minimum age of 15.
- Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid certification.
- Current YMCA Lifeguarding or Red Cross Lifeguarding
- Ability to maintain certification-level of physical and mental readiness.
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
- Ability to pass lifeguard water test.
- Must be able to remain alert.
- Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods.
- Adequate ability to hear noises and distinguish distress signals.
- Ability to continuously scan all areas of the pool with clear vision.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for a water rescue.
- Ability to communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and
Please submit resume and application to Tami Carpenter, Aquatics Director, at Tami.Carpenter@ymcasenc.org