Provides direction for the program and classroom, and implements program curriculum. Provides a quality experience to children and parents that focuses on the YMCA values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring. Afterschool sites are available at the Wilmington Family YMCA, Midtown YMCA, Parsley Elementary, Castle Hayne Elementary, and Coastal Preparatory Academy Charter School. Available hours are Monday through Friday from as early as 2pm to as late as 6pm and as needed for Teacher Workdays and Holidays. May also provide support in other areas as assigned.
- Implements curriculum within the established guidelines.
- Designs and implements daily lesson/activity plans.
- Supervises the children, classroom, and all activities.
- Makes ongoing, systematic observations and evaluations of each child.
- Ensures parents are kept informed of all site and program activities and communicates both positive and negative behavior of children to parents.
- Maintains program site and equipment.
- Maintains required program records including attendance sheets, incident sheets, and behavior reports.
- Attends and participates in program activities, staff meetings, and staff training.
- Follows and implements the Healthy Eating and Physical Activity standards.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness
to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.