Girls on the Run & STRIDE
Girls on the Run and STRIDE are life-changing, interactive learning programs that use the power of running to inspire pre-teen girls and boys for a lifetime of self-respect and healthy lifestyles. Through activities such as running, playing games, and discussing important issues the program encourages positive emotional, social, mental, spiritual and physical development. Coaches will guide and mentor teens through a fun and uplifting curriculum while participants train together to walk or run a 5K event.
AgesGirls on the Run: Grades 3-5STRIDE- Grades 3-5Heart & Sole (a program of Girls on the Run): Grades 6-8STRIDE Too: Grades 6-8
Fall 2020 Update
At Girls on the Run and STRIDE, understanding ourselves, valuing relationships and teamwork and recognizing how we can shape the world at large is the foundation of our evidence-based lessons. We support girls and boys in identifying and processing their emotions, a skill that right now is critically important.
Despite uncertain school and after school activity schedules, we are prepared to adjust to meet the needs of our community and families. With alternate and flexible programming available, we are committed to fulfilling our mission of empowering and inspiring the youth of our community.
Fall 2020 planning and preparing:
- Transitioning our 10-week season to an 8-week season (tentatively scheduled to start September 28)
- Looking for alternative locations to host programming such as community centers, churches, parks, neighborhoods, etc.
- Create curriculum modifications to adhere to social distance guidelines and minimizing exposure.
- Eliminating shared materials by providing individual bags and materials for each girl and boy.
- Continuously evaluating end-of-season celebration options. Options could include in-person 5K event, virtual 5K, or site specific 5K's.
- Adding additional coach training in COVID safety policies and virtual meeting space safety policies.
Participant registration will open August 10 for registered sites.New Hanover, Brunswick, Pender, Duplin and Sampson Counties- Season starts the week of September 28. We are always in need of volunteer coaches! Learn how to get involved here.
Lindsay Peiffer, Girls on the Run & STRIDE Director