On Tuesday, September 8th, the Nir Family YMCA and Midtown YMCA will reopen their indoor fitness centers with limited capacity and following all local, state and national guidelines. Check out our new operating hours
on our website. While we are excited to welcome members back inside, we recognize that the fight to stop the spread of COVID-19 isn’t over. When you come back inside, things will look and feel different at first. Many services will remain limited for now. To protect the health and well-being of staff and members, we have these safeguards in place:
- Comprehensive staff safety trainings
- Frequent cleaning and disinfection
- Health screenings
- Mandatory face coverings for ages 5+
- Plexiglass shields at workstations
- Physical distancing measures
- Upgraded air filtration
- Touchless check-in
- Limited class sizes and occupancy
- Access by reservation only
In an effort to keep our indoor numbers small, we're continuing our exciting virtual and outdoor fitness opportunities, keeping our pools open and delivering programs that improve spirit, mind and body. Read more about these programs and services below:
Face Masks Required
As of part of the Governor's recent executive order, members/guests/program participants ages 5 and older will be required to wear masks when using our facilities but not while exercising/swimming.
On Tuesday, September 8th, the Nir Family YMCA and Midtown YMCA will reopen their indoor fitness centers with limited capacity and following all local, state and national guidelines. View our new operating hours
Before Returning to the YMCA, Please Remember to:
- Click here to sign our new waiver online prior to coming for faster check-in.
- Make an online reservation to use our facilities or participate in class. You can make an online reservation 24 hours in advance using our mobile app or on our website.
- Please arrive 10 minutes early to allow time for screening.
- Come exercise/swim ready. Locker rooms will not be open for changing or showers at this time.
- Bring your own mat and workout towel each visit.
- Bring a filled water bottle; drinking fountains will not be available.
What Should You Expect?
- Everyone 5 and older must wear a face mask when visiting the Y. Exceptions include: during vigorous activity or in a swimming pool
- You must have a reservation to use our facilities or participate in classes. You can make an online reservation 24 hours in advance using our mobile app or on our website.
- When you arrive at the YMCA, you will be asked a few screening questions provided by the CDC.
- We will take your temperature using a contactless thermometer, one time only. Any person with a temperature over 100.4 degrees will not be permitted into our facilities for 72 hours as a safety precaution.
- We ask that each family sign a one-time waiver. Click here to sign our waiver online prior to coming for a faster check-in.
- We will verify your online reservation and ask you to scan your membership card before entering our facilities or participate in class.
- We practice the 3Ws (WAIT. WASH. WEAR). We wait 6 ft apart, we wash our hands (and provide hand sanitizer throughout the facility, and we wear face coverings over our nose and mouth (except for when vigorously exercising or in the pool).
- Wipe down equipment before and after use.
- Locker rooms are not be open for changing/showering. Please come ready to workout/swim.
Not quite ready to workout indoors? No problem! Join us outdoors for some outdoor exercise and strength training!
Take advantage of the dumbbells, weight benches, barbells and other strength and cardio equipment available at the Nir Family YMCA's outdoor gym, or participate in one of our outdoor group exercise classes. Online reservations are required and social distancing must be observed. Staff will clean after each use. Equipment provided may change based on use and availability. Click here
to view our outdoor gym schedule.
You can make an online reservation 24 hours prior to start time through our mobile app
or on our website
Outdoor Gym Protocols
- Members must check in at the membership desk prior to using Outdoor Wellness
- Social distancing must be observed at all times
- Member may move from station to station as needed and as available
- No super-setting from station to station
- Each station/equipment must be cleaned before leaving
- You may retrieve any equipment needed from storage
- Please place equipment back in pod after use and after it is cleaned
- All dumbbells, barbells and plates must be placed on one of the mats and not on the concrete when in use.
- No dropping or slamming of weights will be allowed
- For the safety of members and staff, failure to comply with these guidelines with render member ineligible to participate
Group Exercise Options
We look forward to resuming indoor group exercise classes soon. In an effort to keep our indoor number small, and to serve even more members, we will continue offering group exercise classes outdoors and virtually. You can find available outdoor exercise classes on our schedules page or visit our Virtual YMCA for online classes to enjoy at home. Class capacity is limited to up to 25 people at this time, including the instructor. Class size may vary based on available space and location.
Reservations for our indoor and outdoor group exercise classes are required and can be done through our mobile app or on our website through our schedules page. You can view a video tutorial on how to reserve a space using the links above.
Extended Learning Day Camps
This school year we are offering an Extended Learning Day Camp to provide full-day, weekly options for students participating in virtual learning outside of school. Kids will engage in a variety of educational and imaginative activities, play sports and games and receive help with their virtual learning assignments.
This program, like all of our other youth programs, operates with thorough health safeguards to protect our students and staff members. Our specially trained team help practice social distancing, frequently disinfect program spaces and shared items, perform regular health checks and make sure all kids stay safe while having fun. Click to explore Extended Learning.
Indoor & Outdoor Pools
In following state orders, our pools will be open with a reduced capacity. In addition, we will be adhering to strict social distancing standards. During this time, access will be limited to YMCA members only. In order to serve the most members while at lowered capacity, we ask that you limit your daily time at the pool to 1 hour. We have added a reservation system for you to reserve a lane up to 24 hours prior to coming to the Y. Please arrive 15 minutes early as all members will be screened prior to entering.
At this time we are offering lap swimming, water jogging and water aerobics classes to active Y members. Locker rooms are not be open for changing/showering. Please come ready to swim. Prior to entering the water, you will be directed to rinse off using the cold water showers on deck. Click here to view our pool hours and schedules.
We've resumed our Masters Swim program while following the guidelines provided by our local health department. Swim sessions will be limited to 24 swimmers (4 swimmers per lane). Anyone interested in participating can register online. Click here to learn more.
City of Wilmington Pools
We are excited to share that the city's Robert Strange Pool will continue to operation past Labor Day Weekend to serve more swimmers this fall. Beginning Tuesday, September 8th our pool schedules will change as we transition into our fall season. Admission is free to Y members, and $2/adult and $1/child for the community. Reservations are required to use the city pools and can be made between the day of swim. Click here for hours and other information.
Robert Strange Pool Reservations: (910) 899-7332
We are excited to share that private and small group swim lessons have resumed - all in compliance with state and local guidelines. We've implemented a number of new safety protocols to maintain social distance, and minimize contact with others. Both weekend and weekday classes are available. Click here to learn more about our new safety policies and register online.
It's not too late to register your child for our fall season of youth recreational soccer
and flag football
leagues. With a modified school year, it's more important than ever to give kids some sense of normalcy. Playing sports can help.
We are taking precautions outlined by the CDC and local health officials to ensure the health and safety of staff and athletes. Click the links above to learn more or register online, and in the meantime check out these games, drills and training videos
put together by Y staff and athletic coaches.
We have begun a slow and careful re-opening of our pickleball programs at our Midtown YMCA, Nir Family YMCA and Ogden YMCA Activity Center. All pickleball play will be available by reservation only and new safety guidelines have been put into place to ensure the safety of our members. Click here
to read more about our new policies and schedules.
Our Nir Family YMCA and Midtown YMCA are re-opening its gyms for Y members to come and play basketball. Active Y members of the same household can reserve a hoop by making an online reservation through our mobile app
or on our website
Racquetball/Handball Court Play
We are excited to announce the re-opening of our racquetball and handball courts! Beginning Tuesday, September 9th active Y members of the same household or individual Y members can reserve a court to play racquetball or handball at the Nir Family YMCA.
You can reserve a court Mondays-Fridays 5:15AM-5:30PM and Saturdays 8:15AM-1:00PM. Click here
to view our court schedule.