The Y’s new swim lesson progression curriculum is designed to help participants reach their goals and provide a clear progression track.
Benefits of this approach include:
- Accommodating students of varying abilities and ages
- Fostering a sense of achievement and self-confidence
- Staying grounded in a skill continuum that allows students to move easily from one stage to the next with clearly defined stages of progress along the way. See detailed information on the new skills taught in each of the stages >>
- Encouraging students to have fun and develop new friendships through group activities
- Improving communication about student’s progress
Students can register for one of eight stages under our three swim categories depending upon their age and current swim ability:
If you need additional help in determining your child’s swim stage, see our Swim Lesson Selector.
SWIM STARTERS | Stages A & B
Accompanied by a parent, infants and toddlers learn to be comfortable in the water and develop swim readiness skills through fun and confidence-building experiences.Ages: 6 Months - 3 Years Click to Learn More...
SWIM BAsicS | Stages 1, 2, & 3
Students learn personal water safety and achieve basic swimming competency by learning benchmark skills.Ages: 3+ Years Click to Learn More...
SWIM STROKES | Stages 4, 5 & 6
Having mastered the fundamentals, students learn additional water safety skills that prevent chronic disease, increase social-emotional and cognitive well-being, and foster a lifetime of physical activity.
Ages: 3+ Years
Click to Learn More...
PRIVATE SWIM LESSONS
Learn to swim one-on-one with an experienced instructor- certified in CPR, AED and First Aid.Ages: 3+ Years Click to Learn More...
If you are a current or past participant and wondering about what swim lessons to sign up for, check out our conversion chart & FAQ below or feel free to contact Kate Norwood.
questions? Contact us!
Kate Norwood, Swim Lessons Coordinator(910) 251-8196 x235Kate.Norwood@ymcasenc.org